Sunday 20 October 2013

Musee des Beaux Arts by W.H. Auden

Musee des Beaux Arts by W.H. Auden combines two things I keep a special liking to, literature and visual arts (of which I am both a frustrated creator of). Although the combination of the works were inching more for the literature side since the poem used the Brueghel paintings to relay an imagery. 
The first part of the poem uses the painting, Census of Bethlehem, which shows the apathethic-ness of people towards the birth of Jesus as shown in the painting. The second part pays homage to the Fall of Icarus. Both paintings pointed out how people can be uninvolved towards a happening even if it is current or urgent. I am not going to dwell more about the aesthetic of the paintings even if I did say I like to appreciate paintings, I'm afraid I'm not in a mood to do so right now. Instead, I would like to discuss the meaning of the poem and how it relates to life. In the same way, with the present-day problems the country or the world is experiencing, I myself have my fair share of wanting to do something significant in order for the circumstances to change. However, I feel like I can not do enough so it may look like I don't care about current events. I believe that in the last line of the poem it is relaying that life goes on and we can't help but be affected about small things or in this case, unaffected about overwhelming matters or vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment